Ranking of the world’s most powerful international passports is done periodically by Henley Passport index based on data provided by the International Air Transport Authority (IATA). This index measures the world’s most travel-friendly passport concerning the multiple destination access they provide for their citizens. The data for this year’s ranking has been presented and then we ask the question: What’s the number one travel document that provides access to more countries around the world than any other in 2020? In this article, we limit the rankings to the top ten, scroll down to see the line-up of travel passports you need to hold this year.
Asian countries dominate the top of the leaderboard with Japan in the first place, followed by Singapore taking the second place, and South Korea together with Germany in the third place. Forth to sixth positions are dominated by European countries having Finland and Italy at No. 4, Spain, Luxembourg and Denmark coming to fifth, then Sweden and France at No. 6. Ireland took no. 7 on the leaderboard while UK and US dropped largely from the no. one position they jointly ranked in 2015 to eighth position this year. Canada and Australia ranked ninth, and the tenth position on our list goes to Hungary with two other countries.
Below is the list of the top 10 most powerful international passports and the number of destination access they provide according to Henley Index.
1. Japanese passport: Japan took the top of the leaderboard, offering applicants visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to an incredible 191 destinations around the world.
2. Singapore passport: Holders enjoy access to 190 destinations around the globe.
3. South Korea and Germany (189)
4. Finland, Italy (188)
5. Spain, Denmark, Luxembourg (187)
6. Sweden, France (186)
7. Switzerland, Portugal, the Netherlands, Ireland, Austria (185)
8. The United States, United Kingdom, Norway, Greece, Belgium (184)
9. New Zealand, Malta, Czech Republic, Canada, Australia (183)
10. Slovakia, Lithuania, Hungary (181)
Choose your travel document wisely and explore many countries in the world.
Thank you for reading.