I’m very positive that if you go about asking people which is the oldest polytechnic in Nigeria, a lot of folks might have no idea. Not because they are not enlightened, but because information such as this, may not necessarily be of interest to some people. Be that as it may, today at the site, we have for you the oldest polytechnic in Nigeria and everything you need to know about it.
There are over 80 polytechnics in Nigeria, and you can find at least a polytechnic in almost every state of the federation. The oldest Polytechnic in Nigeria is located in the South-Western part of Nigeria and it is also one of the best Polytechnics in the country presently.
The Yaba College of Technology, YABATECH (first named Yaba Technical Institute) was established in the year 1947 to succeed the defunct Yaba Higher College. The name YABATECH came after successive name changes which didn’t go down well with students in the institution. The current name which was adopted in 1963, was changed to Federal Polytechnic Yaba and subsequently reverted back to YabaTech after a couple years.
The school is driven by its objective to provide full-time and part-time courses of training in Commerce and Management, Technology, and other courses of relevance to the growth and development of the country such as learning in the areas of Agricultural and Industrial production and research.
It is these objectives that has positioned YabaTech at the fore-front of Polytechnic education in the country. The college is currently made up of 9 academic units (schools), and thirty-four departments headed by Deans and Heads of Departments respectively. Though Yabatech is older than many institutions in the country, it is also reputable for producing some of the most influential people and best brains in the country today.
SCHOOLS AND DEPARTMENTS IN YABATECH
The Polytechnic has a total of 8 schools, 34 departments – which I will list for you below – and over 60 accredited programmes in National Diploma (ND), Higher National Diploma (HND) and post-HND level. The institution became the first in the country to set-up a fully established Center for Entrepreneurship Development offering compulsory courses which students must study throughout their stay in the school.
School of Art, Design and Printing
- Department of Fine Art
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Printing Technology
School of Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Department of Industrial Maintenance Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Architectures
- Department of Building Technology
- Department of Estate Management
- Department of Quantity Surveying
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Department of Land Surveying
School of Management and Business Studies
- Department of Accounting and Finance
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Secretarial Studies
- Department of General Studies
School of Science
- Department of Chemical Science
- Department of Biological Science
- Department of Physical Science
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
School of Technology
- Department of Computer Technology
- Department of Food Technology
- Department of Hotel and Catering Management
- Department of Polymer and Textile Technology
School of Liberal Studies
- Department of Languages
- Department of Mass Communication
Technical and Vocational Education
- Industrial Technical Education (Elect/Elect)
- Industrial Technical Education (Metal Work)
- Industrial Technical Education (Building)
- Home Economics Education
- Business Education
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
Candidates who are interested in studying at YABATECH should head over to the school’s website for information about the institution’s admission screening exercise. The required documentation and O’level qualifications are regularly updated on the website. The present UTME cut-off mark into any department at the Polytechnic is 180. Prospective applicants who did not score 180 or above, will not be invited for admission. Admission score into the institution is normally calculated by combining JAMB and O’level grades.
CHECKING ADMISSION STATUS
To check the admission status of YABATECH,
- Firstly, head over to the admission checking portal at http://www.yabatech.edu.ng
- Wait for the website to load fully, after that you can then input your JAMB registration number in the provided space
- After you have correctly inserted your jamb reg no, click on “Check Admission Status” icon on the site and your admission status will be displayed on the computer screen. You can then decide to print the page out for future reference purposes.
The tuition for YABABTECH is the same across all departments in the institution. It doesn’t matter what course is studied, the school fees is the same, and is relatively cheaper when compared with state and private schools or Universities.
HND students pay N45,500 on a yearly basis as tuition – formerly N35,000 as of last year while OND candidates pay a total of N44,500 as tuition every year – also an increase from last year.
Note that: Students who are not registered on the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) platform are going to part with extra money during school fees payment.
MESSAGE FROM THE RECTOR
The Rector of the institution, Mr Obafemi Omokungbe, has announced that 23,704 candidates applied for admission into the institution for the 2017/2018 National Diploma (ND) programme but only 3,666 were offered admission. He also said that a total of 3871 candidates were offered admission into the college’s Higher National Diploma programme. He used the opportunity to advice candidates who were admitted into the various programmes about abiding by the rules and regulations of the institution.
According to the Rector “The matriculation is of utmost importance, the matriculation oath signifies that you accept to abide by the rules and regulations governing the conducts of students in the college.
“You must desist from all manner of anti-social activities such as cultism, drug abuse, examination malpractice, sexual misbehavior, and other unruly behavior.”
The way learning in this institution is structured, is such that the different training departments of the different public offices are brought together. Yabatech is not only the first Polytechnic in Nigeria, it is also among the first higher institution of learning in the country.