Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife ia one of Nigeria’s oldest and best Universities. It is located in the ancient city of Ile-ife, in Osun state, Western Nigeria. Also known as OAU, it was established in the year 1962, and was formerly known as the Uniberaity of Ife. It was later renamed after the late premier of the defunct western region, Chief Obafemi Awolowo. In recent times, the school has ranked among Nigeria’s best five universities, sustaining decades of academic and moral excellence.
Faculties in Obafemi Awolowo University:
The following faculties of study make up the university’s academic structure.
Faculty of Administration
Faculty of Agriculture
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Environmental Design & Management
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
Faculty of Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Pharmacy
Faculty of Sciences
Faculty of Technology
Faculty of Social Sciences
Courses Offered in Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU):
Below is the list of departments and courses available for study at the university:
African Languages and Literature
Agricultural and Environmental Engineering
Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
Anatomy and Cell Biology
Community Health and Nutrition
Computer Science and Engineering
Demography and Social Statistics
Dermatology and Venerology
Drug Research and Production Unit
Educational Administration and Planning
Educational Foundation and Counseling
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Environmental Health and Epidemiology
Fine and Applied Arts
Food Nutrition and Consumer Sciences
Food Science and Technology
Haematology and Immunology
Institute of Education
Jurisprudence and Private Law
Literature in English
Local Government Studies
Management and Accounting
Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
Materials Science & Engineering
Morbid Anatomy and Forensic Medicine
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Perimatology
Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology
Paediatrics and Child Health
Physical and Health Education
Sociology and Anthropology
Special Education and Curriculum Studies
Urban and Regional Planning
Admission Procedure for Obafemi Awolowo University:
The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in all major disciplines.
Prospective candidates must meet both:
- the general entrance requirements, and
- additional Faculty or Departmental course requirements.
Students intending to enter the University are advised to obtain information from the University about entry requirements to ensure that they have satisfied the requirements by the time they apply for admission.
The minimum entry requirements to the first year is a General Certificate of Education (or equivalent) with Credit passes in at least five subjects chosen from a list approved from time to time by Senate provided that in each case all the five subjects are taken and passed at not more than two sittings.
- One of the passes shall be a pass at ‘O’ Level or equivalent in English Language.
- Except in the cases of candidate for admission to the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Law, and for the Bachelor of Arts in Education in the Faculty of Education, one of the credit passes shall be a pass at ‘O’ Level or equivalent in Mathematics.
- A pass in the General Paper of the Higher School Certificate is regarded as equivalent to a credit pass in English Language at ‘O’ Level.
In addition to satisfying the minimum requirements indicated in regulations 1 and 2 above, candidates for the courses listed below must, among the five subjects presented in fulfilment of minimum requirements, also include the subjects and satisfy the other requirements indicated. It may be assumed that further requirements are not imposed for any degree course not shown in the following list.
During the admissions intake season, the university publishes updated procedures and criteria for applying for admission on their website, www.oauife.edu.ng.
A general requirement for admission is a Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Letters, Philosophy or Science or an acceptable equivalent from an approved University. An academic standing of a minimum of second class lower division or a grade point average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) is required for admission to Masters degrees: a second class upper division for MPhil: and an MPhil or Master’s degree with research thesis in appropriate field and at least 60% (B+) weighted average in the Masters coursework for admission to Doctorate degree.
Application for admission must be completed on the online forms supplied by the University, which may be obtained from the PG College website, which is http://netque.oauife.edu.ng.
Application procedures and instructions are available on the PG College website at all times.
Obafemi Awolowo University Students Portal:
The University’s portal is fully equiped to cater for most of the academic and administrative needs of the students. Services like fees authentication and payment, registration for prospective, new and returing students, checking of admission status, and lots more can be accessed on the portal. The link to the portal is:
Alternatively, one can simply click on the ‘e-Portal’ link on the school website (www.http://www.oauife.edu.ng)
Obafemi Awolowo University School Fees:
The updated school fee schedule is shown below.
For Fresh Students:
- FACULTY OF LAW/ARTS/SOCIAL SCIENCES/ADMIN/EDU. ARTS: N43,700 Per Session
- FACULTY OF SCIENCE/EDM/EDUC. SCIENCE/TECH/AGRIC: N54,700 Per Session
- FACULTY OF MEDICINE/PHARMACY/HEALTH SCIENCES N57,700 Per Session
(i) Faculty of Administration (Diploma in Local Government Studies) Tuition: N63,300.00
*TISHIP (Tertiary Institutions Students Health Insurance Prog.): N1,600.00.
(ii) Accommodation: N3,090.00 (Accommodation for new students will be provided on first come first served basis) including a Development Levy of Eighteen thousand naira (N18, 000.00), which is paid once and for all by all new students throughout the duration of their studentship in the University.
For Returning Students:
- FACULTY OF LAW/ARTS/SOCIAL SCIENCES/ADMIN/EDU.ARTS: N19,700 Per Session
- FACULTY OF LAW/ARTS/SOCIAL SCIENCES/ADMIN/EDU.ARTS (Extra Semester Rain/Harmattan): N19,700
- FACULTY OF SCIENCE/EDM/EDUC. SCIENCE/TECH/AGRIC: N27,700 Per Session
- FACULTY OF SCIENCE/EDM/EDUC. SCIENCE/TECH/AGRIC (Extra Semester Rain/Harmattan): N27,700
- FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCE, CLINICAL SCIENCE, DENTISTRY/PHARMACY: N30,700 Per Session
- FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCE, CLINICAL SCIENCE, DENTISTRY/PHARMACY (Extra Semester Rain/Harmattan): N30,700
- LATE REGISTRATION FOR COURSES N2,000.00
- ACCOMODATION (RETURNING STUDENT) N2,590.00
- Faculty of Administration, (Diploma in Local Government Studies) Returning Students N55,300.00
- Faculty of Administration, (Diploma in Local Government Studies) Extra Semester (Rain/Harmattan) N54, 050.00
- Faculty of Administration, (Diploma in Local Government Studies) Returning Students – N55, 300.00
- Faculty of Administration, (Diploma in Local Government Studies) Extra Semester (Rain /Harmattan) – N54, 050.00
*Returning Students are required to pay the appropriate charges as indicated above as well as a sum of N1,600.00 for TISHIP (Tertiary Institutions Students Health Insurance Programme).
*Students with extra semester(s) are required to pay appropriate charges including TISHIP as indicated above. They should in addition, obtain clearance from their Heads of Departments to enable them log on to the e-portal for registration.