Named after Nigeria’s first indigenous Governor-general, late Nnamdi Azikiwe in the year 1992, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka is one of Nigeria’s foremost public universities. It is located in Awka, Anambra state, South-eastern Nigeria. It is accredited by and affiliated with the National Universities’ Commission, NUC.
Before its rechristening, it was formerly known as Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH). The University currently boasts of a total student population of around 35,000. It is also affiliated with a number of bodies within and outside the country.
The university is also known in some quarters as UNIZIK.
Courses Offered in UNIZIK
The University offers three core Academic Programmes listed below:
- Continuing Education Programme (CEP)
- Pre-Science Programme
iii. Sandwich Programme
- Certiﬁcate Programmes
Undergraduate Degree Programs and Departments available at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Include:
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- Crop Science (B. Agric Crop Science)
- Agricultural Economics and Extension (BAgric Agric Economics and Extension)
- Food Science and Technology (BAgric Food Science and Technology)
- Animal Science (B. Agric Animal Science)
- Forestry and Wildlife (B. Agric Forestry and Wildlife)
- Soil Science (B. Agric Soil Science)
FACULTY OF ARTS
Igbo, African and Asian Studies
- BA – Chinese Language, Igbo Language
- English Language and Literature (BA English Language and Literature)
- History and International Studies (BA History and Intemational Studies)
- Linguistics (BA Linguistics)
- Modem European Languages (BA French)
- Music (BA Music)
- Philosophy (B.A Philosophy)
- Religion and Human Relations (BA Religion and Human Relations)
- Theatre and Film Studies (BA Theatre and Film Studies)
- Applied Biochemistry (B. Sc. Applied Biochemistry)
- Parasitology and Entomology (B. Sc. Parasitology and Entomology)
- Applied Microbiology and Brewing (B. Sc. Applied Microbiology and Brewing)
- Botany (B. Sc. Botany)
- Zoology (B.Sc. Zoology)
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
- Adult Education (B.Ed. -Accounting)
- Early Childhood and Primary Education (B.Ed. Early Childhood and Primary Education)
- Educational Foundations (B.Ed. -Education/English)
-Fine and Applied Arts
- Education Management and Policy (B.A. (Ed.) -Economics)
- Guidance and Counselling (B.Ed. Political Science)
- B.Sc.(Ed.) Economics
- B.Ed -Health Science
- Human Kinetics and Health Education B.Sc.(Ed.) -Health Education
- Library and lnformation Science B.LIS. Library and Information Science
- Science Education B.Sc.(Ed.) -Biology
- Vocational Education B.Sc (Ed.) -Business Education
-Building and Wood Work Technology
-Electrical and Electronic Technology
-Auto Mechanical Technology
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
The Faculty consists of the following departments:
- Department of Agriculture and Bio-resources Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Industrial/Production Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Department of Polymer and Textile Engineering
FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
Great architects and builders have been trained there.
The Faculty of Environmental Sciences is made up of the following departments:
- Environmental Management
- Estate Management
- Fine and Applied Arts
- Geography and Meteorology
- Quantity Surveying
- Surveying and Geo-informatics
FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
FACULTY OF LAW
The Faculty of Law has three departments
- Department of Commercial and Property Law
- Department of International Law and Jurisprudence
- Department of Public and Private Law
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY
The Faculty of Health Sciences and Technology comprises four departments:
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medical Rehabilitation
- Radiography and Radiological Science
Nnamdi Azikiwe University is a Federal University. It therefore follows strictly the Federal Government guidelines on admission of candidates into Federal Universities.
Candidates are admitted into the university through UTME (Uniﬁed Tertiary Matriculation Examination) and D/E (Direct Entry). These candidates also go through a screening test (POST-UTME) conducted in the University before their admission into the University. Admission into NnamdiAzikiwe University is strictly on MERIT.
Requirements for admission are usually published in the period preceding the admissions’ intake season. However, some basic requirements abound. They include:
- The prospective candidate must possess satisfactory scores in the UTME (usually a minimum score of 200)
- As a federal university, the proapecove candidate must pick the school as their first choice institution while registering for UTME. In some cases, second choice may be allowed.
- The candidate must possess not less than five credits in O’Level exams, in not more than two sittings. The credits must be in subjects relevant to the candidate’s choice course of study.
- Before applying for admission, candidates should check with the department of their choice to ensure that they meet the eligibility requirements of the department to which they are applying.
UNIZIK SCHOOL PORTAL:
The school portal is accessed via this link. The portal is the place for all issues pertaining to registrations, applications, payments, checking admission status, e-clearance, and the likes. It therefore applies to both prospective students and new/returning students.
UNIZIK SCHOOL FEES:
This is one of the most important factors that must be considered when one is seeking admission into the higher institution; especially an institution like Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
The tuition fee schesule ia given below. If you are a prospective or returning atudent, or you just got admitted, this piece of information will be valuable for you.
SCHOOL FEE SCHEDULE FOR FRESHERS (UTME & DIRECT ENTRY CANDIDATES)
Undergraduate Tuition / School Fees of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), Awka:
N65,000 to N70,000 (depending on the candidate’s choice of course and department).
SCHOOL FEE SCHEDULE FOR RETURNING STUDENTS (200 LEVEL, 300 LEVEL, 400 LEVEL & 500 LEVEL STUDENTS)
Undergraduate school fees :
N20,100 to N25,000 (depending on the candidate’s level and course of study).
*Please note that the tuition / school fees for freshers is inclusive of acceptance fees and other miscellaneous expenses. Subsequently, the freshers will start paying the fee for returning students when they get to 200 level (for UTME Candidates) and 300 level (for Direct Entry Candidates).