The Federal University of Technology, Minna (FUTMINNA) is a public University of technology situated in the ancient territory of Minna, Niger state in Northern Nigeria.
Also known as FUTMinna, the institution was established in the year 1983, and it started off at the site of the former Government Teachers’ College, Bosso, Minna, Niger state. The school boasts of over 15,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, and almost 700 administrative staff.
FUTMinna is one of the few universities in Nigeria with a core speciality in the field of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
Courses Offered in FUTMINNA:
The school’s academic structure comprises of nine fully-functional faculties or schools, each consisting of a number of specialised departments. The faculties are:
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Technology Education
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- School of Information and Communication Technology
- School of Agriculture and Agriculture Technology
- School of Entrepreneurship and Management Technology
- School of Environmental Technology
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Post Graduate Studies
Other Academic and Professional institutes existing in the University include:
- Centre for climate change and freshwater resources; linked to the Federal Ministry of Environment, a node of the Global Institute for Bio Exploration (Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA).
- Centre for Human Settlements and Urban Development (CHSUD) linked with the United Nations Human Settlements Program.
- Centre of Excellence in Disaster Risk Management and Developmental Studies; run by the National Emergency Management Agency.
- Centre for Preliminary and Extra-mural studies
Departments available and Courses that can thus be studied in the University include:
» Agricultural and Bio-Resources Engineering
» Agricultural Economics and Extension
» Agricultural Economics and Farm Management
» Animal Production
» Biological Science(s)
» Chemical Engineering
» Civil Engineering
» Computer Engineering
» Computer Science
» Computer with Statistics
» Crop Production
» Cyber Security Science
» Education and Biology
» Education and Chemistry
» Education and Geography / Physics
» Education and Mathematics
» Education and Physics
» Education and Science
» Electrical And Computer Engineering
» Entrepreneurship And Business Studies
» Estate Management
» Food Science And Nutrition
» Food Science And Technology
» Industrial Education Technology
» Information And Media Technology Engineering
» Library and Information Technology
» Mathematics with Computer Science
» Mathematics with Statistics
» Mechanical Engineering
» Mechatronics Engineering
» Project Management Technology
» Quantity Surveying
» Science Education
» Soil Science
» Surveying and Geo-Informatics
» Telecommuniction Engineering
» Transport Management Technology
» Urban and Regional Planning
» Water Resources, Aquaculture and Fisheries Technology
Applying for an admission into the Federal University of Technology, Minna begins with you first applying for the University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). Admission is by both UTME and DE, and the university also runs post-graduate admissions.
The procedure for admission is relatively the same with most other Nigerian Universities. Candidates would be required to have satisfactory scores in their respective examinations (UTME/DE) and also meet the requirements of the department they are applying to.
Once this academic eligibility is determined, candidates are to follow the information for application for admissions as displayed on the school’s website (www.futminna.edu.ng) during admissions intake seasons.
FUTMINNA Students School Portal:
The school portal is the hub for all issues relating to registrations, enquiries, payments, and etcetera. It can be accessed by either clicking the following link, or copying and pasting it in your browser:
Once that is done, you will be directed to a page where you will provide your student I’d and password for logging in. This is most applicable for returning students.
For fresh students applying for admission, they can go through the school’s main website, which is www.futminna.edu.ng. On the page, click the ‘STUDENTS‘ icon, and follow the prompts as applicable to you, until you get to the page on the e-portal where you can perform whatever registrations and payments you desire.
FUTMINNA School Fees:
The FUTMINNA School Fees shown below are for Fresh and returning students that are Nigerian Origin while the other Section of FUTMINNA School Fees are for Fresh and returning students of Foreign Origin.
|S/no||Item||Fresh student||Returning student||Fresh student (foreign)||Returning student (foreign)|
|3.||**Hostel service charge||—||—||—||—|
|4.||Hiring of matriculation gown||1,000||—||1,000||—|
|8.||Verification of entry qualification||3,500||—||5,500||—|
|11.||Clinic registration fee||500||—||500||—|
|17.||Maintenance of facilities||3,000||2,000||3,000||2,000|
|20.||Student Welfare Insurance Scheme||1,000||1,000||1,000||1,000|
|TOTAL (in naira):||50,200||24,700||52,200 + $750||24,700 + $750|
*Hostel Accommodation: This is overseen and governed by the respective managers
** Hostel services charge: This is under a totally different setup
***SWEP: Students participating in SWEP are to pay an extra sum of 5,000 naira
Field Trips: Students in participating departments are to pay a sum of 5,000 naira, while those in the following departments are required toto pay 10,000 naira only; Surveying and Geo-informatics, Biological Sciences and Geology.
Other possible charges include:
- Transcript Charges (Local/Overseas) – 5,000/15,000/20,000.00
- Purchase of Change-of-course Form (Fresh) – 10,000.00
- Purchase of Change-of-Course Form (Returning) – 20,000.00
- Inter University Transfer Fee – 41,500.00
- Inter University Transfer Form – 5,000.00
- Change of Choice of University – 20,000.00
- Late Registration – 10,000.00
- Deferment of Admission – 10,000.00
- Registration of Clubs/Societies – 5,000.00
- Hiring of Academic Gown for:
(a) Matriculation – –
(b) Convocation – – 1,500.00
- Replacement of I.D. Card – 2,000.00
- Add/Drop Course Form – 1,000.00
- Scroll – – 500.00
- Alumni Fee – – 2,000.00
- Collection of Certificate – 3,500.00
- Verification/Confirmation of Results by Corporate Bodies, Organizations, Agencies or Individuals – 2,000.00
- Remarking of Examination Script (per script) – 5,000.00
- Proof of English Proficiency Request – 2,000.00
- Letter of Introduction/ Attestation Request – 1,000.00
- Purchase of Personal Academic Gown by PhD graduates – 30.000.00
- Vehicle Parking for Staff/Students
- N1, 000.00 per staff per session
- N1, 000.00 per student per session.
NB: All amounts are in Naira, unless otherwise stated.