Asiwaju Bola Tinubu is one of Nigeria’s most prominent statesmen. The political story of Lagos state and indeed the southwestern region cannot be written without him. He is influential, dogged, and a colossus in politics.
This post explores critical details about his life. We discuss his biography, political career, net worth and investments.
Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Biography:
He was born 29th March, 1952 as Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu in Lagos state. His primary education was at St. John’s Primary School, Lagos. He would eventually continue his educational journey at the prestigious Children’s Home School, Oyo state. He proceeded for college education at the Richard Daley College, Illinois, and further bagged a degree in Business Administration from Chicago State University. After his graduation in 1979, he had a brief stint with a couple of American organizations including the likes of Deloitte, GTE Services and Arthur Anderson. Afterwards, he returned to Nigeria and began working with top oil and gas company Mobil. Sooner or later, he would transition into the world of politics, and he remains therein till this day.
Bola Tinubu is one of Nigeria’s most influential politicians. He is currently the National Chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress party. He is also fondly referred to in political circles as ‘Jagaban’.
His foray into the political world in Nigeria started in the year 1992. He won the Lagos state senatorial elections in that year, and later in 1999, he contested for the Lagos state governorship elections and won. He would eventually win the next elections for a second term in office, effectively serving in office until 2007.
Tinubu’s Net Worth:
Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s net worth has been a matter of controversy in recent years. In some quarters, it is believed that his official declaration of assets did not include many of his investments, and that his net worth is far more than what is being projected to the populace.
Tinubu is a businessman. He has multiple investments in the real estate industry, telecommunications industry, as well as in the media sector; all running in to billions of naira. Some of his assets and investments are outlined below:
- Royal Garden Housing Estate, Ajah – worth 200 billion naira
This estate sits on a 250-hectare expanse of land in the Lekki-Ajah axis of Lagos state. According to reports, the land was initially earmarked for the construction of a state hospital for residents of the area, but the property was later ‘hijacked’ and the project was canceled.
- Oando Oil – worth 170 billion naira
Surprisingly, Tinubu is the real owner of Oando Oil Nigeria Plc. Tinubu only recruited someone to manage it. In reality, it’s his!
- Oriental Hotel, Lekki, Lagos – worth 120 billion naira
Anyone who has ever had the opportunity to walk into the Lagos Oriental Hotel will give testament to the beauty and splendor on display. From tasteful furnishings to first class customer service, Oriental stands out as one of Nigeria’s five star hotels. It also features a multi-storey car parking facility within the hotel premises. Not just anyone can walk in there to book a room or hold a meeting in any of their halls. According to reports, the cost of a single room per night is more than twice the country’s monthly minimum wage for civil servants.
The structure of oriental hotel sits on an expensive expanse of land which Tinubu reportedly acquired for hundreds of millions of naira. The Hotel itself, which is fully owned by Tinubu himself, is worth over 120 billion naira.
- 1 Kilo-hectare Landed Property at Lakowe – worth 75 billion naira
Tinubu co-owns a large 1,000-hectare expanse of land with former Lagos state governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola. The property is situated in Ibeju-lekki, Lagos state and is currently being develop into a world-class golf course.
- Mobil Recreation Center – worth 25 billion naira
The facility is jointly-owned by ARM, Bola Ahmed Tinubu and a certain Tunji Olowofe. It is located at Oniru Estate, Lekki.
- Bombardier Global 6000 Express Private Jet – worth $60Million (equivalent to 21 billion naira)
Tinubu’s private jet is a wonder to behold. The aircraft features a very wide cabin with amazing features and functionalities. It is believed to be capable of covering the distance between two continents without having the need for refueling. As many would remember, it was used expressly during president Buhari’s 2015 presidential campaign.
- 160-hectare Atlantic Beachfront Property – worth 10 billion naira
- Ogudu Foreshore Scheme – worth 5 billion naira
- Parkview Estate Ikoyi Beach Land (14 hectares) – worth 3 billion naira
- Landed Property at the Lagos State Fisheries Office – worth 3 billion naira
- Television Continental(TVC) and Radio Continental are also owned by Bola Ahmed Tinubu. They are worth a collective sum of 2.6 billion naira
- Ilubirin Housing Estate – worth 2.5 billion naira
- His Lagos residence at Ikoyi, worth 1.5 billion naira
- Mercedes Benz G-Wagon – worth 600 million naira. The car is fully bullet-proofed, and comes equipped with cutting edge surveillance technology and cameras, as well anti-bomb capabilities.
- Another fleet of exotic cars collectively worth over 400 million naira
- Badore Fishery Landing Jetty – worth in excess of 500 million naira.
- Lagos State Guest House Annex, Asokoro, Abuja – worth 450 million. The property belonged to the Lagos state government, but Tinubu inherited it from the government of his successor as a ‘pension compensation’.
- 5-bedroom apartment at Queens Drive, Ikoyi (which formerly served as the Governor’s Guest Quarters) – worth 450 million naira. Tinubu acquired it shortly after he left office as governor of Lagos state.
- Julius Berger Yard, Epe Lagos state – worth 450 million naira.
Note that these are only some of his known assets and investments. Tinubu has many other companies and investments being managed by trusted individuals who are well acquainted with him and his way of doing business.
With regards to his known and unknown assets and investments, we can convincingly assert that Bola Ahmed Tinubu is worth in excess of 10 trillion naira. The source of his stupendous wealth is still a matter of debate; but one thing is certain: Tinubu is one of the wealthiest men ever to have emerged from Nigeria.