If you’re one of those asking to know why Nigeria is called “Giant of Africa”, then you’re on the right page, as the question is answered in detail here. Whether you’re asking the question out of curiosity or because you’re just not comfortable with Nigeria being given such a magnifying description, the following reasons will convince you:
- With a population of about 180 million people, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, the most populous black nation on earth, and the 8th most populous in the world — after China, India, USA, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, and Russia.
- With an annual GDP of about $400 billion, Nigeria has the second largest economy in Africa.
- Nigeria is home to Lagos, the sixth largest urban centre in the world — after Tokyo, Mumbai, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, and New York City.
- Nigeria is the only African country listed among the “Next Eleven” economies poised to become the biggest economies in the 21st century.
- The Nigerian economy is the 4th fastest growing in the world.
- At 125 trillion cubic feet, Nigeria has the 7th largest gas reserves in the world — after Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United States, Algeria, and Venezuela.
- Nigeria has Africa’s largest university educated population of approximately 35 million.
- Nigeria has Africa’s largest and most prosperous middle class of approximately 50 million.
- Nigeria has one of the top 3 most powerful military forces in Africa.
- Nigeria is the first and only black country in the world where cars are locally manufactured — not assembled. (Thanks to Innoson!)
- Nigeria is the first black country to launch a space satellite.
- Nigeria has the fastest growing construction industry in the world.
- For decades, Nigeria has been playing a “fatherly” role in African politics, providing economic support and peacekeeping assistance when and where necessary.
- Nigerians are the most exposed and travelled people in Africa. There are Nigerians in every country on the planet!
So, with all the above in mind, it goes without saying that Nigeria truly deserves the “Giant of Africa” title more than any other African country.
Question: Why is Nigeria called “Giant of Africa?”
Answer: See the list of reasons given above.