Apart from medicine and engineering, law is another most sought-after university course in Nigeria. There are many reasons for this but prominent amongst them is the fact that Law is a professional course.
After obtaining your Bachelor from the university, you’ll proceed to the Nigerian law school and thereafter write the Nigerian bar examination. After passing this exam, you can launch your own law firm and start building.
Moreover, law is a noble profession. Lawyers are treated as important beings and most lawyers are accorded a lot of respect immediately it is mentioned. There are no bounds to the career path one can take as a lawyer.
The Nigerian government is made up of three main parts- the legislature, the judiciary and the executive. The legislature and the judiciary especially are filled mostly with lawyers. Law is an interesting prospect to the average Nigerian student and as such, it attracts a huge number of applicants per year.
However, some law faculties at Nigerian universities stand head and shoulder taller than their counterparts. That’s why people apply to them than others. These law faculties are rated above others by the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS).
NIALS carries out extensive researches and collects data about the law faculties at all private, state and federal universities in the nation on a frequent basis. The agency is charged with ensuring that the law faculties at Nigerian universities are of standard quality. This is for the benefit of students, the institution and the society at large.
As a result, the NIALS churns out law faculties rankings from time to time. According to NIALS, here are the top ten universities with the best law faculties in Nigeria.
- University of Lagos, Akoka. UNILAG has the best law faculty in the country, and this is partly because it is situated in Lagos, the commercial centre of Nigeria. The faculty was established in 1962 as one of the foundation teaching units of UNILAG. It offers a rich background in law practice to its students and many of them go on to become experts in their areas. The students are also known to outperform their mates at the law school.
- Obafemi Awolowo University. The faculty of law at OAU is magnificent. It offers a rich background in corporate law, property law and so on. Furthermore, the OAU Law Students’ Society has attracted notable Nigerians like Abubakar Atiku to speak at its conferences. The students carry themselves around campus with high esteem and are distinguished by their smart black and white regalia.
- University of Jos. UNIJOS is another university having a top law faculty. The faculty has attracted several expatriates from all over the world. It holds workshops often for its students to get acquainted with the current trend in world law.
- University of Benin. The faculty of law at UNIBEN was established in 1981. At its inception it had a few lecturers but at the moment boast of a very robust staff of nearly 50 lecturers including doctors, professors and associate professors.
- Lagos State University. Despite being run by a state government LASU law faculty manages to hold its head and stand tall among several law faculties from federal institutions. The faculty has a vibrant alumni association.
- Ahmadu Bello University Zaria
- University of Nigeria Nsuka
- Babcock University, Ogun State
- University of Maiduguri
- Igbinedion University
According to NIALS, the ranking project involved field and desk research. The following indices were used:
- The number of applications per session
- The number of admissions
- Staff strength
- Staff-student ratio
- Library quality
- The quality of its post graduate studies
- Capacity building – external and internal
- International accomplishment – moot trials and so on
- Community service
- Web placements
- External linkages
- Cross culture/internationalisation of staff
- The number of conferences/seminars and roundtables held or organized annually
- Alumni support and visibility
- Infrastructural development
- The faculty’s organisation and strategic vision
- The faculty’s research undertakings
- How often the faculty attracts grants
- The number of high profile personality lectures
- The performance of the school’s graduates at the law school
- The average performance of graduating class
- Moot trial participation
- The quality of students’ dissertation
- General ambience of the university
- Frequency of interruption of lectures
- Recognition of degree overseas
- Placement of graduates in top law firms in and outside the country
- Hiring of graduates to teach at top 400 universities in the world
- Admission of graduates into LL.M and PhD programmes into top 400 universities in the world.
Other universities with top law faculties are:
- Abia state University
- University of Ibadan
- University of Ilorin
- Ambrose Alli University
- Delta State University
- University of Calabar
- Afe Babalola University
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Covenant University
- University of Abuja
- Imo State University, Owerri, Imo state
- Babock University, Iwo
- Bayero University
- University of Uyo